Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Moving Towards VISION 2020 in Niger State - Dr. Isah Jibril


Dr Jibril was in London last week to present the findings of his project, and to mark his successful completion of the MSc in Community Eye Health at the International Centre for Eye Health at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. He kindly
contributed the following to our blog:

As Coordinator of the Eye Care Programme in Niger State, Nigeria, I have a big remit to carry forward the VISION 2020 objectives of my State.

Niger is the largest of Nigeria's 36 states, with a population of 4.5 million people spread across 12 million acres - 40% of which is water, and getting around the State can be a challenge! Around 80% of people in Niger State make their living through agriculture or fishing. It is not an affluent population, and blindness or vision impairment can have a big impact on a family.

According to the Nigerian Blindness Survey which took place between 2005-07, around 25,000 people in Niger State are bilaterally blind, 13,500 from cataract alone. Around 1,200 more people go blind from cataract every year - a daunting prospect for our Eye Care service.

In addition, 21 of the 25 local government areas receive annual ivermectin treatments to address the persistence of onchocerciasis or 'river blindness' in Niger State. This was the focus of my project for the MSc - examining coverage and outcomes from the ivermectin distribution programme.

Looking at the situation holistically, if nothing is done in the next five years, Niger State is likely to have around 17,000 people blind from cataract alone. For us to be able to plan according to VISION 2020 guidelines will be essential to addressing this situation. I believe that with a well-drafted plan in place, we will be able to make a real difference.

Before embarking on this training, as a clinician I could devote only 30% of my time to prevention of blindness in the community. Since taking the CEH course, I spend up to 80% of my time on community ophthalmology - a much better way to benefit more people.

One of the most important challenges we faced before was achieving the inauguration of a state Committee for Prevention of Blindness. When I returned from the course in September 2010, I swung into action with advocacy visits to policy-makers at State level, and at last the Committee was formed in November last year. The effect has been felt already, with government support for positive policy changes for eye care.

Another challenge now is to convince eye health NGOs to work with us in Niger State. At present, apart from UNICEF which is involved in ivermectin distribution, no NGO supports eye care programmes in my State. I hope that the development of an effective State action plan for eye care will attract NGO support. I hope eye health NGOs will take note of this message - Niger state could be a great opportunity for them to help make a big difference!

When I return home, an urgent priority will be to contact several eye health NGOs, both in Nigeria and here in the UK, to partner with the Niger State Eye Care Programme, and help us to achieve our VISION 2020 goals.

I am grateful to Almighty God, and also to my Mentor Dr. Abdullah Usman Imam at Niger State MoH, whose support and guidance have helped me lay the foundations of my career. Dr. Imam took the MSc in 2003, and the State Govt generously supported my training so that I may follow in his footsteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment